View of Shkodra landscape and remains of ancient castle wall.

I love the mountains of Albania. They are not the traditional peaks that I am accustomed to from growing up in Colorado. These mountains, that rise gently out of the lush land and extend in waves across the fields always make me think that God just gently pushed the earth until little rolling hills appeared. The higher peaks are rugged and yet not daunting. They draw my eyes "unto the hills, from whence my help comes. My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth."
The gate and inner doors to the castle in Shkodra.

I have a thing for doors - I love to look at them and photograph them. They are so interesting and I always think about the people who have passed through those portals in previous times. These doors (although not these exact ones, I am sure) have stood for over 2,000 years and have been battered during the sieges over the ages by invading hordes that desired to overtake Albania. The first door, once breached would lead to a narrow, inner courtyard where invaders would be trapped and at the mercy of the defenders who could pour hot tar and shoot arrows at them. Pretty ingenious design.
JUMP

Kaitlyn is a member of the class representatives at her school this year. Last month they traveled to northern Albania that was flooded last fall to provide toys and clothes to some of those affected by the disaster. Their group took this fun photo - she is 4th from the left. Kaitlyn is the group secretary, which fits her personality just great. She is super organized and has beautiful handwriting (unlike her mothers)
Skanderbeg Square and Muslim Mosque

I think this is an ironic photo. Skanderbeg is the Albanian national hero who defended Albania from the invading Turks and their national religion, Islam, in the 1400s. He stalled the advance for a time, but eventually the masses of Turks conquered and for 500 years the Ottomans ruled Albania. I think it's interesting that the statue of the man who was defending his country and his religion (Catholicism) from the Muslims now stands in the shadow of a Muslim minaret and the deaf ears of Skanderbeg are assaulted with the call to worship from the mosque each day.
Please pray for this country that is still firmly entrenched in the darkness of this world. Although they are not under the control of an atheist dictator anymore, they are imprisoned even more firmly in the unbelief of their own hearts.
No comments:
Post a Comment