May 17-28
Proverbs 25:25 says, "Like cold water to a weary soul is good news from a distant land." Of course the BEST "good news" is the gospel (Romans 1:16). However, the good news I'm referring to was the news that my dad, Bill and his wife, Amanda (a great friend and godly woman that I admire greatly) would be coming to visit us in Albania. One of the hardest moments of leaving America to move to Albania, was driving away from my dad's house the morning we got on the long flight to Tirana. I can still see him waving his hand and crying as we pulled away.
Since that time, I have been praying that God would allow me see him again. I have to say, there have been many days since we left that I have wanted to sit with him on a comfy couch with a nice cup of coffee and talk and pray and get his perspective (which is really God's) on things. However, I knew that God had me here, and him there, and I was willing to wait for His timing. Yeah! It arrived on an Al Italia flight on Saturday morning, May 17th! Boy, did I cry when I finally got to hug my dad. God knew the perfect timing to send that "good news" that was refreshment to a weary soul. If it had been any sooner, I may not have learned to crawl up into my Heavenly Father's lap nearly so often. Praise God that He is never early, never late, always right on time!
< An aside here - I was so intent on looking through those international flight doors to see my dad's face. You know, the kind of doors that slide open to allow a few people out, but then close their opaque doors again too quickly. I stood at that door, behind the "No trespass" sign, jockeying for a perfect spot, packed tightly among not-so-sweet-smelling people, on tippy-toes, expectantly waiting---for my dad to come through those doors. Why don't I wait like that for Christ to return? Why don't I have that kind of anticipation for my time with Him each morning? His coming is more assured than of my dad and Amanda walking through those doors. His presence will be even more glorious to be in. His love is far superior than that of an earthly father and daughter. His sacrifice make our eventual eternal union possible cost a whole lot more than a plane ticket. Yet, I still yearn for things of this earth and find my pleasure in things I can see and touch. I pray for that kind of eager, breathless, keen anticipation of being with my Father and the Lover of my soul. >
We did have a sweet re-union and all their bags arrived intact. That's always a plus. During their 10 day trip here we drove through some of Albania and the surrounding areas to give them a real look at the nation we call home. It was great for us to get to see a little bit more of the country as well. Of course, we did the touristy things here in Tirana. As you can see from the photo above, taken in the center square of Tirana, they got to see the famous statue of Skenderbeu, the national museum and mid-day traffic all at once.
What would a family get together be without some good ol' game playing? Dad and Amanda taught Kaitlyn and me how to play backgammon. Kaitlyn picked it up right away and really enjoyed playing. I am glad that we both learned so that we can play together.
One highlight of any trip to Albania is sampling some of the traditional food. We had a great lunch at a little cafe. Dad also got to go with Kris to the seminary and have lunch with some of the Albanian seminary students. Amanda and I spent some good "girl" time together while the men where at the seminary. We were also glad that they were able to worship with us at our church on Sunday. Everyone was so welcoming, as usual, and made them feel right at home.
I think our time of prayer together the night before they left was one of the sweetest times together. I am so thankful that God allowed them to come so that our lives would have some common links over here. Now, when we talk they can picture where we are. They can pray harder for our safety on the road (LOL) and for the ministry God has called us to because they have seen it and experienced it for themselves. They also have a greater peace and comfort when we are apart because they see how God has provided a gracious and safe home for us to live in, with dear friends and team mates to work with. I think we have even convinced them to come again next year. I can pray!
2 comments:
Oh Chellie how sweet it is to have had your dad there, and Amanda too.
Family is such a blessing and when you can have them come and visit you that is another blessing.
So happy for you.
What a flood of emotion I felt as I read your blog on your dad and Amanda being with you.
What got me the most was reading how you felt when you first saw your dad at the airport.
Oh, I felt that emotion with you.
I thank the Lord that they were able to speed away from their pressing labors for the Lord at CBS Houston and be with family.
God sent a blessing to you and gave a blessing to them.
Praise His name!
Post a Comment