Sunday, August 31, 2008

Urgent Prayer Request for Whitney


Today is Sunday, August 31st. I am posting this blog so that those of you who have been so faithful to pray for our family will be able to pray with us for Whitney. Today, at church, Whitney received a pretty significant injury to her right eye. A stick fell out of a tree and hit her actual eyeball. I took her to our clinic and the doctor (a general practitioner from the states) diagnosed her with a scratched/ slightly torn cornea (the color part of the eye). The direct hit to the lower part of the cornea traumatized the iris (the center, black part of the eye that dilates and contracts with light). The trauma to the iris has caused the iris to respond very slowly and slightly to light - the iris won't contract much. The Dr. was encouraged that Whitney's eye was not cloudy inside at the time he inspected the eye. If there is cloudiness that would mean that the eye had been punctured into the center and would be very serious and mean a surgery. He is still concerned about the iris though and wants to see us first thing in the morning (9 a.m. Albania time or 2 a.m. Texas time) to see if they eye has recovered from the trauma and is healing.

* Please pray that the he will not find any cloudiness in the eye - this could cause blindness.
* Please pray for wisdom as the doctors look at her eye - the clinic is fairly well equipped but not as well as a Dr.'s office in the states. There is an Albanian eye doctor that he can send her to if he is not convinced of the diagnosis in the morning.
* Please pray for Whitney's pain. The scratch/tear is a very painful injury.
* Most of all, please pray that Kris and I would be able to use this opportunity to showcase the immense sovereignty of God. I know that NOTHING touches us unless it has first passed through the hands of my loving and gracious heavenly Father. I want to confirm in Whitney's mind, and anyone else watching, that we KNOW this to be true and that we live a life of peace and hope in light of it. I have been praying for Whitney's salvation with a more burdened heart lately and it may be that God uses this, whether just an injury or a life long eye problem, to break her heart and allow to see Him with a new spiritual vision. Her eternal state is so much more important to us, as parents, than her ability to see or see perfectly for these short years on earth. So. pray for her physical eye to be healed, Lord willing, and her spiritual eyes to be opened leading to her salvation.
* (You could also pray for her momma. It is never an easy thing to see your child in pain or dealing with an injury that can cause serious damage for life. My heart hurts for her and I am praying for more faith and peace as to respond in a way that honors God.)

Thank you for carrying us before the throne of God. I will post an update tomorrow, when we know more from the Dr.

10 comments:

jenn said...

Chel,
we are praying for dear Whitney first and foremeost for God to soften her heart to Him during this time of suffering and teach her to depend on Him, for you and Kris to have the peace that surpasses all understanding and for God's healing hand on her physial eye. You are an amazing testimony of His amazing love and fatherly care. Your passion for Christ and the love that you have for your children that places your concern for their souls far above any temporal comforts is a testimony for all who love you and are blest to call you friend. I love you all!
jenn

rastire said...

Chel, we know that the effectual, fervant prayer of a righteous man availeth much, and as we pray for Whitney and you and Kris, we will pray that God will open her spiritual eyes and heal her physical eye. We will continue to pray. We love you, Mom, Nonie, & Grandpa

Mom said...

Our dear family,

Like you, Chel, our hearts are heavy for Whitney. We cannot deny that and won't. We love her and want her best. We also know God wants her best and THAT best is beyond what we could even think, so we are trying to rest in Him right now.

Be confident that we are praying for our other family members there as well as the other family members here in the States. It effects us all.

We love you dearly!

GranBud and Grammie

rodney said...

We are praying for Whitney and you guys in this God ordained trial. We will pray for her physical healing and certainly her spiritual health.

We so much enjoyed getting to see you both and getting to know your children in Israel.

Rodney and Glenna

Flowers said...

Oh, our precious Whitney! We are praying for her and for you, Chel, as you facilitate all that's necessary. Thank God you are a nurse! Know that we are crying out to the Lord for her soul and her eye. And we praise God that Kris is so level headed and a marvelous support for you.
Jay and I and the kids are driving home from El Centro now and will be reachable by cell phone only until about 4PM (CA time).
We just love you so much. And tell Whitney that her cousins are praying for her.
Steph (Minnie) and Uncle Jay

Thoughts from Team Albania said...

Chelle,

Whitney and each of you are in my prayers. I have your family in my heart and it goes out to you in fervent prayers on your behalf. May you know His sufficient grace moment-by-moment. May God restore Whitney's soul and eye and increase your faith in Him and grasp of His unfailing love for you.

P.S. I sent you a more lengthy email of encouragement along with a few thoughts about Whitney's medical care to your email address and forwarded it to Kris.

Love,
Erika Hoffman
Team Albania '08 (GCC)

Elastigirl said...

Praying for you and Whitney, Chel!
~Bets

ms Berta said...

Oh dear Stire's I have you all in my prayers. I always seem to put things to songs. Right know "Open the Eyes of My Heart" came to mind. So I am praying for all the Stire's eyes to be "fixed" on the Lord. For "Whitter's" to open her heart and know Him. Bless you all,missing you and praying too.
Love Ms Berta

ms Berta said...

Oh dear Stire's I have you all in my prayers. I always seem to put things to songs. Right know "Open the Eyes of My Heart" came to mind. So I am praying for all the Stire's eyes to be "fixed" on the Lord. For "Whitter's" to open her heart and know Him. Bless you all,missing you and praying too.
Love Ms Berta

ms Berta said...

Opps I sent it twice, well then that means I am double prying. Bye