Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day Tribute

ELAINE LOVELL
Chelle's mom

There is no way that I can even begin to write or capture in photographs the love, respect and honor I have for my mom in this short missive. On November 9,1970, I was given, by God's good hand into the loving protection of this wonderful woman. You can see in the picture above, taken a short time after my birth, that I was loved and prayed for from the start.
My mom said that my hair was always sticking up and that she tried all kinds of things to make it behave. Finally, she gave up and just let it do it's own thing. Her hand's on kind of mothering always made me feel special and I knew that whatever she was doing could be put aside when I had a hurt knee, a broken heart, a silly story or just wanted to talk. I remember following her around the kitchen as she washed the floor on her hands and knees or sitting on the counter "helping" her make cookies. In fact, now that I am a mom, I realize that she was an incredibly patient and fun-loving mom. She has always been a gracious hostess, the one who gave me the desire to make my home a warm and inviting place for all who cross my threshold, and an inspiration to do it all in a way that pleases the Lord.
I think that this is my favorite picture of me and my mom. This is exactly how I remember her when I was a little girl. She read me lots of Bible stories and knelt next to my bed to pray with me at night. In fact, only a few short years after this photo was taken in 1973, she helped me to understand the truths of the gospel that I had heard all my short life. Later that night, on my own, God drew me to Himself and brought me from spiritual death to life. The next day on my 6th birthday, my mom greeted me with, "Happy Birthday, Chelle". I replied, "I have two birthday's today!" I knew that I was a new creature in Christ. In large part, this early conversion, was due to the faithful example of my mom and her reading Scripture and Bible stories to me as a small child.
Thirty-three years passed between the previous photo, when I was 3, to the above photo. Those years were filled with much laughter, sweet memories, lots of cups of coffee together, the birth of 4 granddaughters and our fair share of tears and reconciliations. Today, I rise up and bless my mom and honor her with the words of Proverbs 31. Mom, you are a woman who fears the Lord, and I praise you. You are an excellent wife, you honor your husband and do him great good, you have always been a hard worker and make sure that your home and children and yourself are cared for and appointed with great beauty, I hardly ever remember you sitting idly or wasting time at home, you have always had a tender heart for those less fortunate than you, you are quite a business woman and have a great sense of character, your smile and fun personality make you a joy to be around, you have given me much wisdom these past years (much learned from your own life and even more from God's Word), your mouth and your early morning hours are filled with words that honor God and prayers for me. I can count on the fact that every day, at least once and usually lots more than that, you are bringing me and my concerns to the throne of God. That is the best gift a mother can give to her children. On top of all of that, you are the kind of Grammie that will live forever in the hearts and memories of my children. I am honored and thankful to God that they have the immense blessing to call you Grammie.
I can truly say that I hope that I can be a wonderful a mother, wife, home maker, friend, Sunday School teacher, administrator, decorator, super Grammie, and godly woman to my children and grandchildren. I love you and miss you so very much. Happy mother's day!

2 comments:

The Taras' said...

What a sweet dedication! It makes me think of what an impact we can have in our children just with our day to day service, love, and care! What an encouragement!

BTW- Chelle, Brianna looks so much like you as a little girl! All this time I thought she looked like Kris, but she looks like you!How funny!

*She will grow up and be sooo beautiful! :)(no offense to Kris- LOL!)

Mom said...

Chelle,
I can write this now because it is not the center of your "most recent blog" and also I can control my emotions better tonight than I have since you first wrote this tribute to me.
Honestly, my dear daughter, I have NEVER read a more beautiful tribute.
Thank you.
From the second I prayed that God would bless me with a child, I believed that He would bless me!
Indeed, He did!
My lips utter His praise today as my heart is filled to overflowing with gratitude for you.
Thank you, my Michelle Elaine, for your honor toward me.
I love you!
Your mommy