Wednesday, August 1, 2007

New ministry in Albania

Well, it's not actually new ministry, it's just a new place to do it. God has given Kris and me the incredible privilege to serve with the body of Christ here in Albania. Due to the fact that we are in a restricted country and for safety issues, we are not allowed to mention the name of the church we attend or the names of many of the Americans attending our fellowship. Please, for our safety, do not mention names in your comments either. Kris has been gifted by God is a very special way to lead worship and play the piano. He only took 2 years of piano as a child, but has the ear to pick up songs and fill them out with complementary cords and such. I, on the other hand, am instrumentally challenged. I pray that the girls get his talent and giftedness musically. Ever since Kris was in high school, God has been using his natural and growing talent in the local church for worship. Kris has been part of worship bands and for the past 8 1/2 years he has been a worship pastor. He may no longer have the title of "worship pastor", but he is honored to be able to continue to use his talent for God's glory in Albania. Our team leader has asked Kris to work with the Albanian worship team to put in place a philosophy of music ministry and to help lead the music on the instrumental end. Due to our not being able to speak Albanian (YET), he can't really "lead" music vocally. The Albanians are a very musical people and so we have an oboe, violin, drums, guitar, keyboard and 3 vocalists. The team has graciously welcomed Kris and they are practicing and learning how to work together. The music worship experience , for me, in an Albanian church has been a mixed bag. One one hand, it is always an awesome thing to hear believers of different languages singing praises to God together. On the other hand, the power point words are in Albanian and even though I thought I knew all the songs they sing by heart, I can't seem to remember them when I am the only one I can hear singing them. It is more work to worship because I can't meditate on the words and join in with the corporate singing. This is easily remedied by getting some English music sheets made. Kris will also be preaching in the church service in a month and teaching in the young professional - singles - next week.
This is the English speaking children's Sunday school class I taught last week. There are a number of English speaking children whose families are part of the embassy contingency or work with ministries to Albanian orphans, gypsies or leadership training. It has been a sweet gift from the Lord for my children. Many of the children are stateside right now with their families, so this is actually only a portion of the children that will be in class. The majority of these kids will also be attending the English speaking school the girls will start in Sept. I am thankful that they will have lots of friends on their first day of school. As many of you know, my heart beat and passion is for women's ministry and discipleship. By God's grace, I will have the opportunity to teach at the next women's meeting. The married women and single women meet once a month for a time of prayer, fellowship, and teaching. Please pray for wisdom as I teach to women in a culture that is new to me. Thankfully, the Word of God transcends culture, language, and age. I just pray that I will be faithful to exalt my God and bring Him glory as I teach.
God's goodness continues to overflow onto us. Here I am with Bruna, my dear friend and spiritual "child". Two years ago, at our first camp here, God allowed me to develop a relationship with Bruna, share the gospel with her, and witness her new birth at 11:55 p.m. on July 15th, 2005. It was one of the highlights of my life. Well, she has just grown like gangbusters. She is faithfully studying Scripture and has joined the church to use her gifts for His glory. Bruna is an accomplished oboe player and vocalist and is part of the worship team. She is also serving as part of the lay youth staff. I can't tell you how grateful I am to God that He is allowing me to be a part of her growth in Christ. We have continued our friendship via the Internet for the past two years and now we will begin meeting for discipleship and accountability. PRAISE GOD!! Kris and I are just humbled that God would use us, such unworthy vessels to serve His body, the church. We ask that you would pray that we would be faithful to be learning and applying ourselves what we teach other. Teach applied study! Thank you for your faithful prayers. We are being gently upheld in His tender hand because you labor on our behalf before His throne. You are a vital part of our ministry here!

3 comments:

The Taras' said...

My heart is leaping for joy to see you guys being able to jump right into ministry!I am just so excited to be able to hear about all that is going on overseas- and to see the faces of people who are being blessed by the Lord placing you there. It is a wonderful gift to pray for you guys and then to watch the Lord answer in amazing ways.

BTW, I just LOVE that necklace you have on Chelle! :)

liz said...

This blog and the pictures blessed me so much. I loved seeing Rozi and Bruna leading music! Please tell them (and Xylli) that I still pray for them and that I love them very much.
It was so precious to see the girls making faces and having fun. I shall continue to pray for their easy and quick adjustments to such a new environment.
There is no question that you all are greatly missed here, but in my heart I rejoice as I see you all pressing forward with the ministry that the Lord has laid before you. And it helps so much to know exactly where you are and the wonderful brothers and sisters that you are with. I look at the pics and feel as though I am there, too.
Be encouraged in your hearts by the hope we have in Christ.
With much love to you all...

Mom said...

What beautiful photos and description of God's work through you! Praise His name!
I loved your curly hair, Chel..that Albanian living has got you all "wound up"!
The girls look so cute.
Kris, I have been praying that God would place you in ministry with your keyboard. You do not need words to run your fingers across the keys to make great music to the honor of God's name in worship. Good to see you in the ministry now. I will continue to pray for you and the worship team.
Thanks for keeping us up to date with you. You are so faithful with your blog.