We are so thankful to God to have our internet up and running. It has been a challenge not to be able to communicate with everyone in the states as often as we would like. It makes me appreciate those who did international ministry work in years past. They left for another country and may have only had contact with friends or family every couple of years. I am so grateful that we are able to "talk" to you via the internet. I really appreciate reading the comments that you make on the blog as well. It is always encouraging to hear from you and to have that comforting word from dear friends. If you haven't left a comment yet, please do.

I wanted to give you all a taste of what the food situation is like here - no pun intended. It is quite an adventure to cook for the family. I am really enjoying the challenge of taking tried and true family favorites and making them with different ingredients. There are many items that we can easily get in the states that are unavailable or outrageously expensive here. They don't have peanut butter, baking powder, syrup, almost any kind of mix (brownie, bread, pancake, etc.), real milk (they have this super sterilized milk that you buy in a box off the shelf and doesn't have to be refrigerated until you open it - it tastes different, but we are thankful for it), cilantro, limes, frozen meals and tortillas (or any mexican kind of food or seasoning). These are just a few things. However, the fruit and veggies are outstanding because they are not injected with anything or sprayed with pesticides. The juice here is also like a burst of rainbow on your tongue. Yum!
The girls have been enjoying helping me in the kitchen more. Everthing is made from scratch and so it's fun to work with them in the kitchen. Kaitlyn learned to make pancakes from scratch the other day. I just supervised and helped a little. She did a great job and was so proud that she could make a meal by herself - sort of. Here we are making chicken noodle soup. I thought that this traditional meal would be the same as in the states. What I didn't count on was the remaining chicken feathers on my whole chicken. I had to pluck some off before I could boil it. Yikes! The traditional Albanian meals here involve lots of meat. We ate with some friends a few days ago and he ordered lamb - the head of lamb. It came with the skull and everything included. I opted not to publish this photo. LOL! Needless to say, we have not become that brave yet. The qofta (chohfta), which is like a meatball is tasty as well as the burek (boorek), which is a flaky pastry with different filling. The bread here is great. I walk down to the bread store in the mornings to get fresh baked bread for 30 lek (40 cents). It doesn't preserve long, but we eat it up quickly.

I thought you might be interested in the cost of things here. I was really surprised at how expensive it is to eat. The picture above includes things that I would use in a day to make some part of 3 meals and wash hands and clothes. These items cost me 4730 lek, which is $53.51. Here is the breakdown on the cost of some of these things. The box of cereal costs $3.50! They have to import these from Italy or Greece and so they are pricey. The bag of clothes soap is $18.61. It will wash 40 small loads of laundry. They do not have dryer sheets or baggies here. The small jar of spagetti sauce is $2.60. It's a good thing my girls like their spagetti without sauce. The bag of bow tie pasta is $0.62. The box of granola bars are $2.66, but the peaches are only $0.57. We have discovered that it costs us more to eat here than in the states, because there are no generic brands available.

This is our local market. It is only about a 3 minute walk from the house. We can buy some produce here as well as bottled water (which is the only water we can drink), some staple foods, cereal, milk, as well as Bubblicious gum. It was at this market that one of our girls stole a piece of candy costing 5 cents. After I discovered it and disciplined her, we went back to the store to have her return it and ask for forgiveness. I was really looking forward to it being a great teaching opportunity. Well, first of all I couldn't explain to the owner that I wasn't trying to buy the candy, but return it. There was a man in the store who spoke a little English and so I explained to him that she had stolen it and we coming back to buy it and seek forgiveness. The man looked at me like I was out of my mind. After I finished, he looked to the owner and in Albanian explained to him with a tone of incredulity and humor what I had said. The owner then refused payment, gave the candy to my child and went on the call her by her name and make her feel like the queen of the store. So much for learning a hard lesson. I later learned that disciplining children doesn't happen very often here. They don't even have a word for spanking. The only word they have is "beat". So, the fact that I brought her back to have her apologize seemed crazy to them. I wished that I could speak Albanian at that moment to share the gospel.

This is the central produce market. There are multiple vendors and you can get a wider variety of fruits, veggies, nuts, olives, and unrefrigerated eggs. All of our produce has to be washed thoroughly with soap or soaked in bleach to make sure they are free from any germs.

This was a fun night with a friends, Justin and Gretchen Hall. They are from the states and we all miss Mexican food. When I packed our bags, I put one block of Velveeta cheese, rotel tomatoes, Mexican rice mix, tortillas, and Taco Bell seasoning mix in. These things are unavailable in Albania and I thought it might be nice to have a "home" meal for a treat. We invited them over and ate by candle light- the electricity was out. We didn't care though. It tasted sooo good! The only thing that was missing was Dr. Pepper with lime. Oh, what I wouldn't give for an ice cold Dr. Pepper. Also, we had to ration the guacamole because 1 avacodo is over $2 here. I can't wait for our container to come. I packed some of these hard to find or impossible to find items in it. It will be like Christmas. I can't wait to make a big Mexican meal for our whole team and top it off with hot brownies and chocolate chip cookies. So, the next time you drive through Taco Bell or stop at your favorite Mexican restaurant, think of us and enjoy it!
Well, I hope you enjoyed this brief tour of our culinary choices. The girls are doing really well here because they have lots of pizza and pasta available. Kris is doing really well here because they have lots of ice cream. Chelle is doing really well here because they have lots of pomogranite juice. Come and visit and we will introduce you to the delights of Albanian food! Really, its great!
8 comments:
WOW !!!! WE WILL appreciate food in the US, however you will all be healthier than most of us!! ha ha. I LOVE to read your post and have been praying for you all. Let us know what we can send you. We have friends that are missionaries in Germany and they always want brownie mix :).
We will be heading to China soon (to get our little Anna Bei) so I know we will have food issues as well, but I'm looking forward to the Lord expanding my taste! I miss your sweet smile (Chelle). But I know we have all of eternity
to be together. Keep loving Jesus!
Love, Alicia
You are now Albanian pioneers. You will learn the old fashioned way of cooking. I like making pancakes from scratch, I am not sure about sryup. Ha, I hope the peanutbutter we packed in those boxes gets there soon. I now think of you all when shopping. All though I would like to walk to get a loaf of fresh bread. Thank you for letting us know the foods, and if there is anything I can send you let me know.
Kris, I 'm with you on ice cream.
Keep the blog coming. Happy your internet is working better.
Hey girls if there is a recipe you need let me know.
God bless you all.
Love Ms Berta
Howdy Friends,
I miss you guys so much. When I look at the girls and hear your voice in your words and how the Lord is using you in Albania, I start to cry. I am praying for you guys daily, and I will add to it prayer for the girls' salvation.
Your testimonial about not complaining is truly being a testimony to me! I have so much to be thankful for.
Praise God for email and the internet. It's funny, but I feel like I am mistering there, too, even though Kevin and I are not there with you guys. We are there in spirit and prayer. I know that the Lord is hearing our prayers based on upon the comments you make. I have been praying for your family time in order to connect and bond since things were so crazy before you all left, and to hear that you guys have had relaxing time together, especially with the holiday, is an answer to prayer.
We love you all dearly, and know that you are not forgotten and are truly missed.
Praise God to whom all blessings flow...(no matter what tribe, tongue or nation you are from)
Because of Christ,
Kevin & Sharon
Chelle, I can't see the pics for the food in Albania. I love the blog. I cry also, and I am praying more consistently. We lost power for 90 minutes last nite, and it was like God was helping us feel how it was, except we had water. It was hot and muggy here, and there was no air moving at all. I found out how to make syrup from the missionaries in Africa. 2 parts sugar to 1 part boiling water(rolling). Dissolve the sugar, and add maple flavoring to the color you're used to. Pour out what you don't use. Carol Beakley says her kids like it better than the syrup we can buy now. It's thinner. We love you so much. Love, Mom
Chelle, I can't see the pics for the food in Albania. I love the blog. I cry also, and I am praying more consistently. We lost power for 90 minutes last nite, and it was like God was helping us feel how it was, except we had water. It was hot and muggy here, and there was no air moving at all. I found out how to make syrup from the missionaries in Africa. 2 parts sugar to 1 part boiling water(rolling). Dissolve the sugar, and add maple flavoring to the color you're used to. Pour out what you don't use. Carol Beakley says her kids like it better than the syrup we can buy now. It's thinner. We love you so much. Love, Mom
How wonderful to know that God gives us the ability to make great creations and the joy to make memories with your girls in the kitchen.
Although I could not see the pictures, I can see it in my head.
At least you do not have to grind your own flour! Yippee!
You will be so thankful when the container comes...it will be like Christmas! Thank you for sharing the "life lessons" you are learning together as a family. Makes your ministry in Albania real and touchable to us back home in the United States!
Love, Mom/Grammie
I am most thankful for the internet! It is such a blessing to hear all about your life oversees! Its so neat to hear about all of the food and culture differences- it makes us all feel like we are there!!!!
Its a good thing that you are such a good cook and can figure out how to change recipes...my poor family would just starve- LOL!
That is sad about the way the store reacted to one of the girls for stealing. But it def. shows the heart of those people. They just really dont get it! But atleast the Lord used it to stir your heart in wanting to learn the language, revealed the depravity of those around you- giving you a greater heart for them, and reminded you the importance of discipining your children!!!
(I remember when I was like 3 or 4 I took some things from Pier One- I didnt know that I was stealing...but my mom made me go back and apologize and I was MORTIFIED!!! But Im thankful because I never did it again!!! Im still a little nervous in Pier One though! LOL!)
Anyways, it sooo good to read about the things that you guys are learning and going through! It helps me know how to pray for you guys!
We all love you~
Ok, I did it. I couldn't stand it any longer. I signed up so I could leave a response. I have so enjoyed your "blogs". I have earnestly been praying for transportation and a place to call home and God graciously answered. I know many have been praying for those same things, but it is so personal when God answers. They have UPS, huh? Does that mean we can mail things and they may get there safely? I miss you. Ladies Bible Study will not be the same without you. Rebekah says, "I love you and miss you" to the girls".
God is good!
Love you,
Samantha
Post a Comment